What if I told you you could drink beer AND help out your local community? Well, thanks to the Charlotte Independent Brewers Alliance (CIBA), you can do just that. This organization exists to promote local Charlotte beer and cider as well as the people that make it. It’s exclusively for all independent brewers and cider makers who exclusively sell beer and cider that is produced in Mecklenburg County, NC, and its adjacent counties.
The local impact of CIBA is absolutely incredible. In fact, here are a few quick stats, according to the official CIBA website.
- Created 637 jobs: “When you buy a brew from the Charlotte craft market, you EMPLOY YOUR NEIGHBORS in good-paying manufacturing and service jobs.”
- $22M in wages: “When beer is made and purchased here, 90 CENTS OF EVERY DOLLAR remains in NC. By drinking local, you keep more wealth at home.”
- $524,000 donated: “CIBA members DONATED OVER $500,000 worth of cash, product, and event space to charities and non-profits in 2019.”
In addition to these wonderful numbers, the CIBA advocates for the promotion of the local brewing community, positively impacting local charitable and community organizations, and supports lobbying for progressive changes in NC laws to benefit the state’s craft brewing industry.
Impressive, to say the least, right? So, what breweries are part of this incredible alliance? Well, lucky for residents of our Mallard Creek apartments, there are some amazing breweries nearby that would love to have you stop by, have a pint, and help the community. With over 44 breweries that participate, there are lots to choose from – here are some of our favorites.
- Birdsong Brewing – Charlotte’s third oldest brewery is also the first in the Queen City to adopt solar power, installing a 75-kilowatt array for the roof of the brewery in 2018. Address: 1016 N. Davidson Street, Charlotte, NC 28205
- Devil’s Logic Brewing – There’s something for everyone at this brewery that opened in 2019. The environment is welcoming, and the food is amazing. Address: 1426 E 4th Street, Charlotte, NC 28204
- Lost Worlds Brewing – A craft brewery dedicated to providing crushable beers in an environment that inspires our guests to explore new places and discover adventure by admiring maps and artifacts on the walls. Address: 19700-D One Norman Blvd., Cornelius, NC 28031
- Midnight Mulligan Brewing – A new member of the alliance, this craft brewery will be a favorite for hop lovers and sour fanatics alike. Address: 2215 Thrift Road, Unit A, Charlotte, NC 28208
- Summit Seltzer – Not only is Summit Seltzer the first seltzery in Charlotte, but it’s also the first seltzery on the East Coast. Offering both alcoholic and non-alcoholic choices. Address: 2215 Thrift Rd. Suite B, Charlotte, NC 28208
Whether you’re into IPAs, stouts, ciders, or seltzer, there are dozens of breweries and cideries to explore near our apartments in Mallard Creek. View a full list of CIBA’s participating breweries on their website and pick which one to visit after taking a tour of Greenway at Mallard Creek.