When looking for a new apartment, safety is always an important thing to keep in mind. You may find the perfect apartment, but that doesn’t do you any good if you feel like your place is going to get broken into every day when you go to work. Or worse, you question your own safety. You should feel safe and comfortable in your own home, and at Wheaton 121 we do everything in our power to make sure when you walk through the door of your Wheaton apartment after a long day at work the only thing you have to worry about is what’s for dinner.
Luxurious and Safe
All units at our Wheaton apartments are on the second floor or higher, creating a greater barrier to entry for burglars who might be passing by. Also, no one can access the property without a key FOB. This even includes the garage which is equipped with a fast-acting overhead door (rather than a gate) to prevent other vehicles as well as pedestrians from entering. All resident-exclusive facilities also require a key FOB for entry including the fitness center, clubroom, conference room, private theatre, and business center. Even the resort-style pool and lounge area can’t be accessed without a key FOB and are located on the second floor further preventing unwanted visitors or suspicious persons from accessing the property.
We also take measures to make sure your personal property is safe. All units are equipped with durable deadbolt locks and all hallways are well-lit discouraging any suspicious behavior. Our apartments in Wheaton also feature secure mailboxes and a package concierge service to ensure any packages delivered to you don’t run the risk of being taken from your doorstep. As mentioned before, our private parking garage is fully secure keeping your vehicle safe and it’s also climate-controlled, so you don’t have to worry about braving blustery Chicago winter weather to warm up or clear off your car. We also provide secure storage space in our private garage, allowing you to store your seldom-used items on the property giving you easy access and peace of mind. You can also store your bike in the garage in our secure bike storage areas, so you no longer have to worry about leaving your bike chained up outside or storing it in your apartment. But perhaps what makes our Wheaton apartments one of the safest apartment communities in the Chicago area is our location in the charming town of Wheaton.
Small town feel near the big city
Some would say the best part about Wheaton 121 is our premier location in the charming town of Wheaton. Like peeking through a window to the past, the small town of Wheaton looks very much today like it would have decades ago with its vintage buildings, family-owned shops, and historic college campus giving you that small town feeling that is difficult to find in Chicago. And with that small town feeling comes a sense of safety. Wheaton is one of the safest towns in the Chicago area with a crime rate less than a third of the national average according to City-Data, and was awarded an A+ rating for safety by Niche. The most common crimes are property crimes such as theft and burglary, but they still occur at a frequency well below the national average. When it comes to violent crimes, Wheaton is not exempt, however these types of crime occur at a rate almost 5 times below the national average and 6 times below the state average. The city of Wheaton also fosters a strong sense of community which extends to Wheaton 121. The people of Wheaton take pride in their town and work together to make Wheaton the ideal small town oasis on the outskirts of the big city, ensuring you always feel safe at home and out on the town.
DIY Apartment Safety & Security Tips
Although our apartments in Wheaton are fully secure and are located in one of the safest places in the Chicago area, the sad reality is crimes still occur. At Wheaton 121 we go to great lengths to ensure you’re safe and comfortable in your home, but there are a few things you can do to protect yourself and your home. Below are a few DIY tips to give you that little extra peace of mind.
- Don’t entice burglars – Believe it or not, most burglaries and home thefts are crimes of opportunity most often committed in broad daylight. You can cut out temptation by making sure you close all your blinds are closed and any valuables are removed from your patio or balcony before leaving your apartment.
- Get to know your neighbors – It’s always good to know your neighbors. If you get to know them well and build trust, neighbors can act as a pseudo-security team, informing you of any suspicious behavior.
- Invest in a home safe – In case of burglary, it’s always a good idea to have a safe, big or small. You can minimize the impact of a burglary by ensuring important documents and valuable items are protected.
- Protect your belongings – Unfortunate events still happen despite our efforts to prevent them, so add an extra layer of security with renters insurance. With policies for as little as $10 a month you can minimize the damage of a burglary by protecting your belongings.
- Install a security system – In the past, installing a security system in an apartment was a far-fetched idea. But today, with improvements in technology you can easily set up a smart security system to keep your place safe and secure. There are plenty of options on the market today, but we recommend either SimpliSafe or Nest for their ease of installation and wide selection of equipment that allows you to create your own custom home security system.
- Get a dog – Arguably the most effective form of security, studies have shown you are 65% less likely to fall victim to a home burglary if you have a dog. Their protective nature makes dogs great for discouraging criminals, acting as furry alarms notifying you of any potential intruders. Just another reason to love dogs.
Stay Safe and Sound at our Wheaton Apartments
Your comfort and peace of mind are at the top of our list at Wheaton 121. Designed with the safety and security of our residents in mind and located in one of the safest and most charming towns in the Chicago area, our Wheaton apartments are the perfect place to rest your head at night. Come see for yourself and schedule a tour of our apartments in Wheaton today.