Our Lowry apartments are located near so many amazing restaurants, parks, activities, and fun things to do. One of the most prominent attractions in the neighborhood is the Wings Over Rockies Air and Space Museum – located a short drive or walk from Alas Over Lowry.
The Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum (Wings) is located on the former grounds of Lowry Air Force Base. Transferred from the U.S. Air Force to a group of volunteers in 1994, the museum is located in historic Hangar #1, originally built in 1939. Boasting more than 182,000 square feet in exhibit space, the museum preserves and showcases the history of Lowry Air Force Base operations from 1938 to 1994.
The museum features dozens of iconic aircraft, artifacts, space vehicles, military uniforms, and much more. Their collection includes a rare B-18A Bolo – one of only five remaining WWII-era bombers, as well as five Century-series fighters, one of only two B-1A Lancers, and an RF-84K Thunderflash.
Each year, Wings welcomes approximately 160,000 visitors from all 50 states and representing 34 countries all around the world.
The museum features 11 permanent displays and multiple rotating exhibits spotlighting both Colorado’s aviation history as well as the country’s. Wings aim to keep things fresh and exciting for first-time and returning visitors alike. A few of the permanent displays include:
- Colorado Air National Guard – Everything you could possibly learn about the Air National Guard.
- Lowry Heritage Room – Learn the history of Lowry’s Air Force Base.
- Wright Propeller – The Wright Model K Propeller designed by history-making Orville Wright.
- Spirit of America – Sonic Arrow – See the vehicle designed to break land speed records.
- The Amelia Project – The history of Amelia Earhart and her infamous flight.
- Colorado’s Astronauts – Showcasing Colorado’s own astronauts and their fascinating stories.
Visitors will have a blast getting up close and personal with aircraft and space vehicles, looking at moon rocks, and learning about the incredible history of aviation.
Wings offers its visitors 3 simulator experiences that let you feel what it’s like to be in the pilot’s seat.
- MaxFlight Simulator – Guests will experience 5 minutes in a full-motion flight simulator that will take your breath away. Also features 10 different rollercoaster options. A small additional fee applies.
- Virtual Reality Lounge – An immersive aerospace experience while never leaving the ground. A full 360-degree viewing experience. Included with your museum admission.
- Doron Simulator – Climb into the pilot’s seat of a futuristic jet in this partial-motion simulator appropriate for small children. A small additional fee applies.
Check the museum’s website for more information on permanent displays, limited-time exhibitions, educational classes, hours, admission prices, and more.
Explore Wings over the Rockies Air and Space museum near our Lowry apartments
No matter if you’re wanting to spend a day with the family exploring the neighborhood or you simply want to learn about aviation history, the Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum has an abundance of information and fun to share with you. And you don’t even need to get in your car to get there when you live at Alas Over Lowry. Schedule a tour of our apartments in Lowry today.